Head of Strategic Communications
Female Founders Fund
Founded in 2014, Female Founders Fund is the largest seed-stage fund investing in female founders building technology companies with over $100M in AUM. Since launch, the Fund has invested in over 75+ companies with three large exits (Eloquii, BentoBox, Billie) and one unicorn (Maven Clinic).
The Fund has also built the largest community for female CEO’s, operators, and pioneers across the tech industry through our event programming, community efforts, and content strategy. FFF events – specifically, CEO Summit and Camp FFF – attract the highest caliber founders to connect and learn from not only each other but also network with top VCs and investors like Melinda Gates, Anne Wojcicki (23AndMe), Susan Wojcicki (YouTube), and Whitney Wolfe Herd (Bumble). Past event speakers include visionary leaders like Gloria Steinem, Katie Couric, Huma Abedin, Sheila Johnson, U.S. Congresswoman Lauren Underwood, Mindy Grossman, among others.
The FFF team is small but mighty, and united by the shared goal of changing the gender dynamics in venture capital by proving it is possible to generate top tier returns by investing in women. Our north star is to move the industry forward from the current 2% of venture capital dollars that goes to companies led by female founders.
Location: New York City (with remote optionality)
The Fund is hiring a Head of Strategic Communications to drive the vision, strategy, and execution of PR and communications at Female Founders Fund. As our first in-house Communications leader, the Head of Strategic Communications will be responsible for developing differentiated and newsworthy concepts, securing high-impact corporate and consumer press and speaking opportunities across business, technology, and consumer verticals. Along with the Fund, this individual will also have a focus on building the profile of our Founding Partner, as well as assist new portfolio founders with fundraising announcements.
1. Drive a steady drumbeat of high-impact press that grows brand awareness and positions Female Founders Fund as a leading VC, particularly in the female founder investing category.
- Identify and execute communications initiatives that drive high-impact corporate and consumer press for Female Founders Fund
- Strategize how the fund can leverage press opportunities to support existing initiatives, from fundraising to community efforts
- Collaborate closely with Founding Partner & Platform team to shape the narrative about FFF for key audiences broader than just venture capital
2. Grow our Founding Partner’s profile as a leading voice in venture capital
- Identify and secure high-profile speaking engagements and thought leadership opportunities for FFF Founding Partner with the objective of creating influence with key target demographics - limited partners, female founders etc
- Create and amplify high-quality op-eds and bylines tied to key news moments that position our Founding Partner as a thought leader
- Ensure regular posting and engagement on the Founding Partner’s social media accounts with a focus on Twitter
3. Collaborate with key stakeholders as FFF’s in-house comms expert
- Serve as company press contact and develop processes to manage inbound press requests
- Foster relationships with key media, beat reporters, and industry stakeholders across verticals (business, tech, healthcare, consumer)
- Partner with our Platform team to ensure comms initiatives are aligned and amplified consistently across Female Founders Fund social media channels.
- Support new investment portfolio companies’ fundraising announcements
Experience & Skills:
10+ years in PR and communications with significant experience in-house, understanding of the startup, venture capital & tech industry, and strong network.
- Proven track record of building a communications program that shows momentum through a steady drumbeat of high-impact press
- Heavily networked within leading outlets across digital, print, and broadcast, and knowledgeable about & experience covering the VC ecosystem
- Top-notch written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional storyteller who can break down complex ideas for a variety of audiences
- Self-starter comfortable in a fast-paced environment with a bias toward action & experimentation
- Media relations experience with a knack for proactive pitching
- Avid news consumer and savvy about social media
- Track record of coaching, supporting, and media training senior leaders
- Exceptional collaboration skills with personal qualities of humility, empathy, and curiosity
Comp: $150k/annual salary with equity/carry.
Benefits: Full Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision), 401(k), Flexible virtual/in person schedule, Flexible PTO, Paid Parental Leave (12 Weeks Mat + Pat Leave)
To Apply: Please email your resume and a brief description of why you feel you’re a fit to email@example.com.
Female Founders Fund embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. To that end, we provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.