Associate Commercial Counsel
- Fast Company Most Innovative Companies (2020, 2023)
- Built Best Places to Work (2023)
- Fast Company Best Workplaces for Innovators (2022)
- Fortune Best Workplaces NY (2020, 2021, 2022)
- Great Place to Work certified (2020, 2021, 2022)
- Inc. Best Workplaces (2022)
- CNBC Disruptor 50 List (2022)
- Built In LGBTQIA+ Advocacy Award (2022)
As Associate Commercial Counsel, you will have a critical role in supporting Maven’s growth. Reporting to the Lead Commercial Counsel (and with a dotted line to the AGC, Product), you will partner with our growth team to negotiate and execute a high volume of commercial and vendor contracts while balancing legal risks. In this role you will drive business impact by creating processes, templates, and standardized methods to streamline the deal process, negotiations, and contract management. Depending on experience level, this role will have the opportunity to work on Maven’s most complex contracts with customers, resellers, and vendors, as well as negotiate Data Processing Agreements and Business Associate Agreements.
As Associate Commercial Counsel, you will:
- Review, draft, and negotiate a range of commercial agreements, particularly focusing on our services for customers, channel partners, and vendors
- Work with cross functional teams to ensure that we are able to comply with the contractual demands of our customers and channel partners
- Manage day-to-day commercial contract drafting, negotiation, and form maintenance
- Innovate processes to streamline operations and increase efficiency, transparency, and comprehension between business teams and legal
- Remain up-to-date on relevant industry trends, laws and regulations to ensure an ongoing ability to provide sound compliance advice
- Escalate risk decisions as appropriate for consideration by leadership
- Provide input into and support our contract management and workflow tools
- Advise on key privacy and data protection risks and devise effective risk mitigation strategies and compliance initiatives
- Review and negotiate data protection/privacy and business associate provisions within commercial agreements
- Support the development of privacy templates and playbooks for commercial transactions globally
- 3+ years of relevant legal experience, with a particular focus on the technology sector
- Strong background and interest in commercial agreements to drive revenue/business growth.
- Strong negotiation skills, a pragmatic approach to problem-solving, ability to manage complex business and legal issues in a fast-paced, agile and evolving technology-driven business environment
- Data privacy experience, including negotiating DPAs
- Ability to satisfy contracting metrics and SLAs
- Highly responsive, self-reliant, and able to prioritize workload
- Willingness to learn and work in unfamiliar areas of law, and to assist with other legal work that may be required as the company grows and scales
- Excellent communication skills, especially to communicate legal issues and risks to non-legal audiences
- Qualified attorney and member of bar association or otherwise eligible to practice as an in-house counsel
- Ability to work with tools like Asana, Ironclad, Google docs for workload and contract management
- Experience working in the healthcare space
- Experience working with regulatory bodies
- Both law firm and in-house counsel experience
For candidates in NYC, CO, or CA, the salary range for this role is $160,000- $175,000 per year. You may also be entitled to receive a bonus, stock options, and benefits. Individual pay decisions are based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, and skillset.
At Maven we believe that a diverse set of backgrounds and experiences enrich our teams and allow us to achieve above and beyond our goals. If you do not have experience in all of the areas detailed above, we hope that you will share your unique background with us in your application and how it can be additive to our teams.
Benefits & Perks:
We are reimagining what a supportive workplace looks like, from the inside out. On top of standards such as employer-covered health, dental, and insurance plan options, and generous PTO, we offer an all-of-you, inclusive approach to benefits:
- Maven for Mavens: access to the full platform and specialists, including care for everything from mental health, reproductive health, family planning, pediatrics.
- Whole-self care through wellness partnerships
- Weekly breakfast, lunch, and get-togethers
- 16 weeks 100% paid parental leave, flexible time upon return, and $1.5K/mo for 2 months, new parent stipend (for Mavens who've been with us at least six months)
- Udemy, annual professional development stipend, and access to a personal career coach through Maven
- 401K matching for US-based employees (immediately vesting)
These benefits are applicable to Maven Clinic Co., US-based, full-time employees only. 1099/Contract Providers are ineligible for these benefits.
At Maven, creating a safe and inclusive environment for all is our top priority. If you'll be going into our offices or joining company-organized events, please note that Maven requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and have received the bivalent booster.
Something looks off?