New York, NY, USA
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2023
Primary is a gender-non-prescriptive, inclusive kids clothing brand started by Galyn Bernard and Christina Carbonell in 2015. The company was founded on the idea that kids clothing should be affordable, feel amazing, and be free of logos and slogans so that all kids can truly shine. Our customers are incredibly passionate about our mission, leading to strong repeat metrics and one of the highest NPS scores in the industry (85+). We are laser-focused on building a strong, sustainable and profitable (!!) business, and hiring the best people to help us get there. Our company values kind and thoughtful self-starters who can think strategically and then work collaboratively with people across the organization to produce high-quality outcomes. We are also a very change-friendly group of people, and are always seeking fresh points of view to uncover ways we can improve our products, processes and team culture. We were also recently named top workplaces by Built in and Best and Brightest Companies to Work For!
- 4-day work week - for most roles, Fridays at Primary are flexible days that the team can use to recharge
- Multiple medical, dental, and vision plans, company-paid disability/life insurance, 401(k), flexible spending & commuter plans
- 15 days of PTO (20 days after two years with us), unlimited sick days, 11 company holidays, 3 floating holidays
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave for all new parents
- $500 to spend on improving your work from home setup
- Primary School: a program that gives every employee $100 a month to spend on classes or a gym membership to help them grow (even if unrelated to their work)
Primary has a fresh approach to design, and we believe that simplicity is beautiful. We are looking for a highly motivated and innovative designer who shares the same design philosophy to join our team. This position will work closely with the head of design working on all categories. The company continues to evolve quickly, and we are looking for a designer who can do the small things as well the big.
What You'll Do:
- Understand Primary’s brand aesthetic and proposition to ensure that comes through in everything we design and do
- Exhibit a high taste level and excellent eye for color, graphics, print and pattern with an ability to translate into brand aesthetic
- Own and lead knit categories. Design smart innovative styles that are brand-right and play well with our core evergreen assortment. Provide solutions for our customers (aligned to merchant seasonal roadmap)
- Manage the design process from concept to production while partnering with the VP to ensure alignment on priorities and direction
- Effectively collaborator with internal and external partners
- Adhere to design development calendar by working closely with the internal product development team and our agents on a daily basis
- Own the BOMs and ensure accuracy
- Update line sheets and distribute to the teams
- Prepare and present boards for key milestone meetings
- Design degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 4-6 years relevant knit design experience (children ‘s wear experience is ideal but not required)
- Extensive knowledge of building and owning BOMs (Bamboo Rose)
- In-depth knowledge of Adobe design tools: InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator (strong flat sketching and CAD skills required)
- Basic knowledge of knit fabric construction and properties is a must
- Detail-oriented, team player with creative problem-solving skills and ability to remain big picture focused
- Flexibility & Time Management: ability to multi-task, prioritize workload and take responsibilities for deadlines
- Ability to communicate ideas effectively
- Strong attention to detail as quality is extremely important to the brand's identity
- Exceptionally organized; able to multitask and prioritize, highly detail-oriented with exceptional follow-through.
- Strong presentation skills and ability to influence
Do these sound like you?
- Collaborator who values integrity, innovation, respect and excellence
- Strong sense of urgency
- Curious and solution-oriented; someone who asks the how versus the why
- Resilience, flexibility and staying power
- Passionate about brand and growing the business
- Approaches every day as a business owner
Want to apply but not sure if you’d be the right fit? If this role calls to you, we want to hear from you. There is no ‘perfect’ candidate. Everyone brings something different to the team, and our diversity is what makes us strong. Primary is proudly and eagerly an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all qualified candidates who are currently eligible to work full-time in the United States for any employer to apply. To request an accommodation at any point in the interview process, please email email@example.com.
See more open positions at Primary
Something looks off?