Accounting & Finance
Remote · United States
Posted on Friday, September 29, 2023
Primary is a gender-non-prescriptive, inclusive kids clothing brand started by Galyn Bernard and Christina Carbonell in 2015. The company was founded on the idea that kids clothing should be affordable, feel amazing, and be free of logos and slogans so that all kids can truly shine. Our customers are incredibly passionate about our mission, leading to strong repeat metrics and one of the highest NPS scores in the industry (85+). We are laser-focused on building a strong, sustainable and profitable (!!) business, and hiring the best people to help us get there.
Our company values kind and thoughtful self-starters who can think strategically and then work collaboratively with people across the organization to produce high-quality outcomes. We are also a very change-friendly group of people, and are always seeking fresh points of view to uncover ways we can improve our products, processes and team culture.
Full-Time Employee Benefits:
- 4-day workweek: Fridays are flexible at Primary to allow you to manage your work-life balance
- Company-sponsored medical, dental, & insurance, pre-tax spending/savings accounts, 401(k), company-provided disability & life insurance, and more.
- Generous time off: 3 weeks of PTO (4 weeks after two years at the company), 3 floating holidays, 11 company-paid holidays (plus the last week of December off), plus 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents
- Primary School: a program that gives every employee $100 a month to spend on classes to help them grow (even if unrelated to their work).
- $500 to spend on improving your work from home setup (for remote/hybrid employees)
We are seeking an Accounting Director to lead the accounting function at Primary. Reporting to the VP, Finance, this individual will own the accounting function, end to end, including leading our annual financial audit(s), making decisions related to accounting policy adherence and implementation, and managing all accounting operations. This individual will also be responsible for working with our business applications team to integrate our third-party inventory management data with our ERP, NetSuite, as well as other special projects to streamline month close processes.
As the only direct accounting employee, the Accounting Director will need to have a high degree of autonomy, be able to manage multiple deadlines with competing priorities, and demonstrate strong communication skills.
What You’ll Do:
- Supervise and manage the current third-party accounting team. Make resource recommendations including potential trade-offs of bringing full function in-house.
- Lead full cycle accounting and month close procedures with assistance from the current third-party accounting team, including delivering on bank and management reporting in a timely manner.
- Oversee accounts payable with support of the third-party team.
- Lead annual financial statement audit conducted by a public accounting firm.
- Lead additional annual financial examinations required by our banks for annual compliance reporting (e.g. annual field exam and inventory appraisal).
- Partner with FP&A team on monthly and intra-month reporting and forecasting; especially as it relates to operating expenses and working capital cycles.
- Lead special projects including integration of inventory management with Netsuite.
- Design and lead quarterly balance sheet reconciliation processes.
- Manage and ensure compliance with tax reporting, including year-end state & federal income tax, ongoing state & local sales tax, as well as other business tax filings (e.g. franchise, etc).
- Identify and surface issues – communicate timely and put together action plans to reconcile and ensure precision of accounting estimates.
- Lead other ad-hoc projects as needed.
What you’ll bring:
- 10+ years of experience in accounting, with 5+ years leading an in house team.
- MUST have experience with inventory accounting in a manufacturing setting; FOB strongly preferred.
- Experience leading accounting for a similarly sized start-up ($50-$100M).
- Prior hands-on experience with systems integration (e.g. integrating a third-party warehouse management system with Netsuite).
- Ability to leverage technology and software to streamline recurring month-end processes including automation of checks and balances.
- Extreme comfort in Excel including writing semi-advanced formulas to summarize large datasets.
- Strong time management and organizational skills, with ability to set and achieve deadlines.
- Strong ability to communicate and partner across all levels of the organization.
- Experience in Netsuite
- Education and certifications: BS or BA in accounting, MS in accounting and / or CPA
Want to apply but not sure if you’d be the right fit? If this role calls to you, we want to hear from you. There is no ‘perfect’ candidate. Everyone brings something different to the team, and our diversity is what makes us strong. Speaking of which - not only is discrimination illegal, it is simply not tolerated at Primary. We welcome all candidates who are currently eligible to work full-time in the United States for any employer to apply.
If you have any accommodation needs for your interview, please let us know at hr at primary dot com. We are happy to make reasonable accommodations at any point during your time with Primary.