Quality Engineering Lead, Quality Engineering
Rent the Runway
Quality Engineering Lead, Quality Engineering
About Rent the Runway
Founded in 2009, Rent the Runway is disrupting the trillion-dollar fashion industry and changing the way women get dressed through the Closet in the Cloud, the world’s first and largest shared designer closet. RTR’s mission has remained the same since its founding: powering women to feel their best every day. Through RTR, customers can subscribe, rent items a-la-carte and shop resale from hundreds of designer brands. The Closet in the Cloud offers a wide assortment of millions of items for every occasion, from evening wear and accessories to ready-to-wear, workwear, denim, casual, maternity, outerwear, blouses, knitwear, loungewear, jewellery, handbags, activewear, ski wear, home goods and kidswear. RTR has built a two-sided discovery engine, which connects deeply engaged customers and differentiated brand partners on a powerful platform built around its brand, data, logistics and technology. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list four times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100: Most Influential People in the World" and as one of People Magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
Rent The Runway established its European Technology Hub in Galway in April 2019. Based in the historic Claddagh area of the city, the growing team in Galway tackles core technology challenges and influences the next generation of services critical to Rent The Runway’s success and continued growth.
The Galway office is Rent the Runway's first international office outside the US and enables the company to significantly expand its Software Engineering, Product Development, Machine Learning Engineering and Data Science footprint. Rent The Runway’s Galway-based employees have the opportunity to grow their careers across several roles and career paths in Technology.
Our engineering team is smart, pragmatic, and entrepreneurial. We practice continuous integration & test-driven development, engage in constant peer code reviews & pair programming, and work hard to give back to the software community through open-source contributions.
Our Quality Engineering team thinks like our users, partnering with our Software Engineers to build features that create a seamless experience for our customers. Operating as a central QE department, with team members working as members of our agile product teams, we embed best practices and effective processes across the Technology and Product organisation. The purpose of this role is to identify opportunities to streamline our processes and improve code quality and the user experience through automation.
About the Role:
We are seeking a Software Quality Team Lead well-versed in software quality assurance fundamentals and a strong technical background. This role is pivotal in guiding our QE journey, ensuring excellence in test planning, design, execution, and automation. Expertise in software testing methodologies, automation best practices, and the software development life cycle (SDLC) is essential.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead and Manage: Guide, mentor, and oversee the quality assurance team, fostering a culture of technical excellence and continuous improvement.
- Hands-On Technical Guidance: Directly contribute to automation efforts, particularly in developing scripts, debugging, and deploying solutions for a complex microservices system.
- Stakeholder Collaboration: Collaborate closely with engineering teams, reviewing quality specifications, and offering feedback on technical design documents.
- Innovation: Stay updated with the latest industry trends and ensure our approaches leverage the most current tools and methodologies.
- Reporting: Produce detailed reports on product quality, risks, metrics, and assess our product's alignment with quality assurance metrics like defect densities.
- A seasoned professional with over 5 years of experience in software quality assurance - hands-on testing, test automation and leadership roles.
- Experience with RESTful APIs, Asynchronous Communication (AMQP, RabbitMQ), preferably in a microservices environment.
- Knowledge in non-functional and load testing frameworks (Gatling, JMeter, Flood.io/Element).
- Familiarity with CI/CD Pipelines, preferably Github Actions, and integrating automated testing suites into these pipelines.
- Strong understanding and experience with cloud and containerization principles.
- Analytical skills for troubleshooting, paired with experience in logging frameworks and monitoring tools (e.g., Splunk, Loggly, SignalFX, New Relic, Datadog).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with a knack for cross-team collaboration.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including annual leave, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - unplug, recharge, and have some fun.
- Competitive Stakeholder Pension - taking care of your future.
- Comprehensive health, dental care and dependents care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - This a hybrid role based in our Galway, Ireland office. Employees have to option to work remotely 2-3 days per week.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee on any legally-recognised basis, including, but not limited to: gender, marital status, family status, age disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, and membership of the Traveller community.