Application Operations Support Engineer
Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Team:
Recognising Ireland’s significant technology talent, RTR established our European Technology Hub in Galway in April 2019. Based in the historic Claddagh area of the city, our growing team is tackling core technology challenges and influencing the next generation of services critical to RTR’s success and continued growth.
Our first international office outside the US enables our company to significantly expand its Software Engineering, Product Development, Quality Engineering, Machine Learning Engineering, and Data Science footprints. In addition, RTR’s Galway-based employees have the opportunity to grow their careers across several roles in Technology.
Our teams are smart, pragmatic, and entrepreneurial. We practice continuous integration & test-driven development, engage in constant peer code reviews & pair programming, and work hard to give back to the software community through open-source contributions.
The Application Operations team is responsible for creating, enhancing, and supporting our proprietary solutions to unique business problems. The team consists of multiple groups of highly motivated, creative, and technically savvy engineers, testers, and product owners. These groups are responsible for end-to-end ownership of the products that fuel our round-the-clock customer-facing applications and our warehouse operations with an exact focus on reliability, resilience, and scalability across the company.
About the Job:
The Support Engineer will partner with Rent The Runway’s development leaders to ensure all issues are clearly documented and routed to the best team to resolve them. This position will be on the front lines for improving the operation of all our technology solutions. On a daily basis, you will also partner in our fulfilment centre to reduce friction due to operational issues, keep our operations running smoothly, and also be responsible for supporting our customer-facing software applications. You will be responsible for troubleshooting the software applications across our technical organisation, and ensuring that defects are created and help desk tickets are resolved in a timely fashion.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage and use multiple tools (APM, Splunk, Jira, Excel, 3rd party, and proprietary) to ensure all applications are running correctly.
- Ownership of applications in the production environment, provide technical support for our applications systems and respond to general questions and trouble tickets in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with development teams to learn and develop as a subject matter expert for applications across all business areas.
- Through working with various engineering teams you will research, diagnose, troubleshoot and identify potential solutions for how to resolve issues in the logistics operation, customer service application, ecommerce and mobile applications.
- Work with 3rd party vendors on technical issues and projects.
- Identify issues with orders, systems or the logistics operation and report all issues to product managers and tech teams.
- On-call support rotation across various time zones including teams in USA and Ireland.
- Triage and manage incidents, write up incident reports.
- Build Splunk reporting/dashboards to help monitor system and application performance metrics.
- Ensure a consistent approach to change management of production applications, in line with defined processes.
- Create and update process and technical documentation in Confluence.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree required; an engineering, computer science, or management concentration is a plus.
- 1 - 3 years of experience in application support engineering or a related field is advantageous.
- A strong desire to learn and an open mindset, with demonstrated initiative to acquire knowledge of new technologies.
- Proven analytical, troubleshooting, and research skills, with a sense of responsibility and ownership.
- A proactive problem-solving mindset, adept at multitasking, managing multiple priorities, and the ability to work with an agile team and follow through on projects to completion.
- Have a passion for simplification, efficiency, and process improvement.
- Effective communication abilities to assist in resolving technical and data-related issues.
- Proficiency in Excel, SQL, Splunk, Python, Java, scripting, Github, and JIRA is a plus.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including annual leave, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - unplug, recharge, and have some fun.
- Competitive Stakeholder Pension - taking care of your future.
- Comprehensive health, dental care and dependents care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - This a hybrid role based in our Galway, Ireland office. Employees have to option to work remotely 2-3 days per week.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee on any legally-recognised basis, including, but not limited to: gender, marital status, family status, age disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, and membership of the Traveller community.