Senior Legal Counsel
India · Remote
Posted on Tuesday, November 7, 2023
Tala is a global technology company building the world’s most accessible financial services. With more than $350 million raised from visionary investors, we are serving millions of customers around the world who have been overlooked by traditional financial institutions – and our plan is to serve millions more, and have been named by the Fortune Impact 20 list, CNBC’s Disruptor 50, and Forbes’ Fintech 50 list for five years running. We are expanding across product offerings, countries and crypto and are looking for people who have an entrepreneurial spirit and are passionate about the mission.
By creating a unique platform that enables lending and other financial services around the globe, people in emerging markets are able to start and expand small businesses, manage day-to-day needs, and pursue their financial goals with confidence. Currently, more than 7 million people across Kenya, the Philippines, Mexico, and India have used Tala products. Due to our global team, we have a remote-first approach, and also have offices in Santa Monica, CA (HQ); Nairobi, Kenya; Mexico City, Mexico; Manila, the Philippines; and Bangalore, India.
Most Talazens join us because they connect with our mission of enabling financial agency for underbanked people around the world. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Tala, we’d love to hear from you!
What you'll do:
- Lead on strategy and implementation of licenses and partnerships for Tala India.
- Advise on growth and product regulation for both Tala India and Tala globally; working with non-legal teams to advise on product regulatory strategy and assist in structuring new lines of business.
- Manage regulatory compliance, corporate governance and other legal matters for Tala India.
- Stay up to date on relevant rules and regulations affecting Tala India and work with the Global Legal team to evaluate how they may affect Tala’s innovative and growing business. This includes work on emerging legislation such as the regulation of digital lenders and data privacy.
- Draft, review and negotiate commercial contracts and other documentation.
- Engage and manage relations with external counsel, trade associations, key external stakeholders and regulatory bodies as appropriate.
- 5-7 years of post qualification legal experience
- Minimum of 2+ years at a top tier law firm, preferably with additional experience in fintech, finance or corporate matters and/or working for an international company
- A law degree from a leading university or law school
- A demonstrated passion for Tala’s mission and an interest in keeping abreast of the latest regulatory landscape relating to Indian startups and the fintech sector
- Strong sense of ownership and ability to thrive in a startup environment
- Strong contractual skills with demonstrated experience with drafting, negotiating and reviewing commercial contracts
- Strong analytical and communication skills with the ability to communicate with business teams to understand and analyze business processes from a legal perspective
- Strong attention to detail and highly organized
- Self-starter who is comfortable with ambiguity and working independently and autonomously on both high level projects and the day-to-day requirements and paperwork of a lean legal department
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently and independently, prioritize workflow, meet demanding deadlines, and manage multi-faceted projects in a fast-moving environment
- Willingness to work across time zones globally
- Highly motivated, self-starter who enjoys working in a dynamic, fast-paced and collaborative environment. This work involves a lot of “doing” versus “managing.” We need an all-star lawyer who is excited to “roll up sleeves” with drafting agreements and policies while also providing strategic advice.
Our vision is to build a new financial ecosystem where everyone can participate on equal footing and access the tools they need to be financially healthy. We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse global team that represents a multitude of backgrounds, cultures, and experience. We hire talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.