SVP, General Counsel
Remote · United States
Posted on Friday, February 2, 2024
Tala is a global technology company building the world’s most accessible financial services. With more than $350 million raised from visionary investors, we are serving millions of customers around the world who have been overlooked by traditional financial institutions – and our plan is to serve millions more, and have been named by the Fortune Impact 20 list, CNBC’s Disruptor 50, and Forbes’ Fintech 50 list for five years running. We are expanding across product offerings, countries and crypto and are looking for people who have an entrepreneurial spirit and are passionate about the mission.
By creating a unique platform that enables lending and other financial services around the globe, people in emerging markets are able to start and expand small businesses, manage day-to-day needs, and pursue their financial goals with confidence. Currently, more than 7 million people across Kenya, the Philippines, Mexico, and India have used Tala products. Due to our global team, we have a remote-first approach, and also have offices in Santa Monica, CA (HQ); Nairobi, Kenya; Mexico City, Mexico; Manila, the Philippines; and Bangalore, India.
Most Talazens join us because they connect with our mission of enabling financial agency for underbanked people around the world. If you are energized by the impact you can make at Tala, we’d love to hear from you!
We are seeking an accomplished General Counsel with a distinguished track record of success in providing legal leadership to companies with revenues exceeding $200 million and a demonstrated expertise in navigating complex transactions. The ideal candidate will have a proven ability to facilitate global scaling initiatives, ensuring legal compliance and strategic alignment with business objectives.
Key Expectations and Experience:
- Legal Expertise:
- A strong foundation in the relevant areas of law, including highly regulated industry experience, contract law, and regulatory compliance, is essential.
- Develop and implement legal strategies aligned with the company's goals for expansion in global emerging markets.
- Regulatory Compliance:
- Deep understanding of the legal and regulatory frameworks and operations.
- Develop and implement regulatory compliance programs, policies, and procedures.
- Monitor changes in laws and regulations, advising leadership on potential impacts and recommending necessary adjustments.
- Knowledge of anti-money laundering (AML), know your customer (KYC), and other financial regulations is a strong nice-to-have.
- Public Policy and Regulatory Affairs:
- Define global public policy priorities to advance Tala’s business interests and impact; ensure alignment and compliance across business units; jointly strategize direct advocacy and implementation work streams
- Create codes of conduct that advance industry standards
- Represent Tala in public forums and engage in advocacy efforts as required to shape favorable regulatory infrastructure.
- International Experience: Given the global nature of Tala, experience with cross-border transactions and products is crucial.
- Risk Management: The ability to identify legal risks and develop strategies to mitigate them. This includes experience with risk assessment and management, as well as insurance and liability issues.
- Dispute Resolution: Experience in alternative dispute resolution methods such as arbitration and mediation, as well as litigation when necessary.
- Ethics and Compliance: Knowledge of ethical and compliance standards and the ability to implement and monitor compliance programs.
- Corporate Governance: Understanding of corporate governance principles and the ability to guide governance best practices; supporting CEO and CFO in board management.
- Crisis Management: The ability to handle crises and emergencies effectively.
- Communication and Negotiation: Strong communication and negotiation skills are vital for interacting with regulators, employees, and external stakeholders.
- Cultural Sensitivity: Display an appreciation of cultural differences and an ability to adapt legal strategies accordingly.
- Data Privacy and Security: Knowledge of data protection laws and experience in managing data privacy and security issues, especially given the sensitive financial data fintech companies handle.
- Employment Law: Stay abreast of local, national, and international employment laws and regulations to ensure the company's policies and practices align with legal requirements and provide expert guidance to senior leadership on employment law matters, including but not limited to discrimination, harassment, wage and hour issues, and employee benefits.
- Interpersonal Skills: Build strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including regulators.
- Adaptability: The legal landscape is constantly evolving. Being adaptable and open to change is essential.
- Business Acumen: A solid understanding of the company's operations, financials, and business objectives is vital for providing legal advice that aligns with the company's goals.
- Mission-driven: with a genuine passion for the customer, excited about making a difference in people’s lives
- Emerging Markets: Exposure or hands-on experience and/or interest/passion in emerging markets (personally or professionally)
Key Attributes and Qualifications:
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) from an accredited law school and a minimum of 5 years of law firm experience and 10 years of in-house experience with companies exceeding $200 million in revenue.
- Extensive experience in regulatory compliance and facilitating global scaling initiatives.
- Experience managing legal teams across jurisdictions and working cross-functionally with executives and other departments.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to network externally to be able to represent Tala regulatory and policy evolution
- Strong business acumen and the ability to align legal strategies with organizational goals.
- Familiarity with ethical considerations and corporate social responsibility practices.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced and dynamic global environment.
- Aligned with Tala’s vision, mission, and founding principles.
- Experienced in company exits, including acquisition and taking a company public.
- Proficiency in the Fintech industry.
We strive to provide Talazens and their loved ones with a holistic benefit experience! We champion your financial, physical, and mental health by offering valuable benefits and resources to help you care for the whole you.
- Competitive compensation programs with stock/equity program
- Flexible work environments and Hybrid/Remote-first work model
- Medical (HMO, PPO, HSA), Dental PPO, Vision, FSA, DC FSA
- Employer paid Life w AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability
- 401k and Roth 401k
- Voluntary benefits like critical illness, accident, life, and pet insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Holidays, Unlimited PTO, Wellness/rest “sloth days”, Paid Parental leave, Birthday Holiday, Life Event Days off, paid sabbatical after 5 years of service, and more
- Health and Wellness events and seminars
Our vision is to build a new financial ecosystem where everyone can participate on equal footing and access the tools they need to be financially healthy. We strongly believe that inclusion fosters innovation and we’re proud to have a diverse global team that represents a multitude of backgrounds, cultures, and experience. We hire talented people regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.