Senior Backend Software Engineer
Thrive is a leading behavior change technology company founded by Arianna Huffington in 2016 with the mission to end the stress and burnout epidemic. Thrive helps individuals and organizations improve well-being, performance and mental resilience with its AI-powered behavior change technology platform. Thrive’s Microsteps – small, science-backed steps to improve health and productivity – have been adopted by employees at more than 125 organizations in over 140 countries, from frontline and call center workers to executives at multinational companies.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be part of the team that builds and operates the software systems behind Thrive’s core products and services. The successful candidate has experience to quickly size up problems, devise effective solutions and drive their execution from the blank sheet to production. We need a kind and caring team player who takes responsibility for the organizational outcomes, ready to collaborate with Business, Product and Technology partners and able to deliver value while tolerating ambiguity and fluidity of rapid organizational growth.
If you’re not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but this sounds like a role you would Thrive in – we want you to apply! We believe skills are transferable and passion for our mission goes a long way.
This role is open to Senior engineers and above, Staff / Principal variants exist for the right candidates.
Who You Are:
- Passionate about the products you develop, owning and delivering complex & impactful features
- Comfortable driving system design, proposing & understanding the scope and impact of changes
- Understand what is needed to succeed and grow your application, not just get it to production
- Effective at working autonomously or as part of a team, able to cover the distance but know when to stop and ask for help
- Insist on rigorous and well tested software, when it matters
- Engaged in the JVM ecosystem
- Quickly learn new tools, platforms and languages you may not be familiar with
- Mindful of your service footprint & security exposure
- Understand and appreciate working in a startup environment
- Not shy to hold a production release if you believe the code is not ready
- Proficient with the tools of the trade (git, github, Docker, build systems, IDEs (Intellij / VS Code, etc.)
How You'll Contribute:
- Building microservices that implement new business features or improve existing functionality
- Working closely with platform teams to own, operate (build, deploy, monitor) and troubleshoot production software systems
- Developing vendor and client integration modules and processes, as well as interfaces with emerging technologies
- Helping develop and streamline our operational and engineering support systems and workflows
- Take part in peer reviews, collaborative design sessions, production issue troubleshooting, business requirement gathering and other organizational processes.
- Production development experience in Kotlin, Java, or Scala (for backend-focused roles)
- Experience building reactive frontends in React and Typescript (for frontend-focused roles)
- 5 or more years of software engineering experience; B2C platform or service experience is a plus
- Experience building, running, and debugging scalable and reliable microservice-based applications
- Strong understanding of systems and network design and their impact on application architecture
- Relational database-driven RESTful and/or GraphQL API application architecture and design experience
- Experience working with a cloud platform (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Experience with authentication and authorization systems and protocols is a plus
What We Offer:
- Being part of a mission-driven company that’s truly making a difference in the lives of people around the world
- Ability to develop within the company and shape our growth strategy
- A human-centric culture with a range of wellness perks and benefits
- A competitive compensation package
- Medical, dental and vision coverage + 401k program with company match
- Generous paid time-off programs
Thrive is deeply committed to creating a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment so that all employees can bring their whole selves to work.
Thrive is proud to ensure equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetics, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, family or parental status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Thrive is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Thrive’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Compensation for this role depends on level, and will likely fall in the 130,000-190,000K range. We provide a competitive mix of salary and equity.